Lectures: Access Zoom Room

This course will run in person at Penn during Spring of 2022, except for the first week. We meet on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 10am EST. The first week we will do it in the ESE224 zoom room. 

We will use slides during lectures. You can access them in the lectures section of the course’s site. Lecture notes are also available. They are not the most polished work, but we believe most of you will find them to be of reasonably good value.

Lab Assignments

We will have 13 lab assignments during the term at a clip of one per week. They are designed to take about 10 hours to complete. If they are taking more time than that, please consider increasing your use of teaching assistance. Follow this link to access lab assignments.

You have been divided in groups of 9 or 10 students made up of teams of 3 or 2 students each. Groups meet twice a week with an assigned teaching assistant for an interactive session. Within a group you collaborate with the members of your team to prepare a solution and write a report. You must have received an email with your group and team assignment. If you haven’t received such note, send an email to ese224@seas.upenn.edu so that we can make proper adjustments.

You may notice from the above numbers that we are making a big effort to offer personalized instruction. We encourage you to develop a strong professional relationship with your teaching assistants. This is the reason why we are dividing you in small groups. We also encourage you to form a strong working relationship with your team. There is much you can learn through interaction with your peers. This is the reason why we are choosing to keep the teams together throughout the term.

Discussion Forum

We are running a discussion forum on Piazza. Please be engaged. Submit questions. Answer questions. Offer comments. Offer help. 

Grading

We have 13 lab assignments during the term. Each of them is graded in a scale from 0 to 4. You get no points if you don’t turn it in. You get 1 point for a poor job, 2 points for an OK job, 3 points for a good job and 4 points for an excellent job. These points are assigned to your group based on your lab report. The idea is for all of you to get a 4 in all 13 reports and therefore accumulate 52 points total. If you get anything less than a 4 in a lab report we will point out your mistakes and we will offer you the chance to submit corrections within the week. The only way for you to get less than 52 points in your lab assignments is for you to skip some work. Please avail yourself of this opportunity.

In addition, we are going to have two midterms. Midterm 1 is to be take-home, released on March 7 and it is due on March 16 by 5 pm. Midterm 2 is going to be in-class on April 27. Each of the midterms is worth a total of 26 points.

The grand total of points that can be earned in ESE224 is therefore 104. You pass with at least 60 points, you get a C with at least 70 points, a B with at least 80, and an A with at least 90 points. Within each letter range you get a minus decoration in the first 3 points of the range (for example, you get a B- for 80, 81, or 82 points). You get a plus decoration in the last three points of the range (for example, you get a B+ for 87, 88, or 89 points). This is true except of A+ grades. You get this only for perfect scores.

Professor Alejandro Ribeiro

This class is been taught by me, Alejandro Ribeiro. I am very happy to have a captive audience to listen attentively while I talk about my chosen research area. I have been doing research on signal processing for 17 years. My group is well known for our contributions to graph signal processing, optimization, and collaborative systems. If you want to get a better sense of my research and teaching activities please visit my lab’s website which has descriptions of my research vision and provides access to the sites for the courses I teach, including this one.

Academicians are always eager to flaunt the awards they have received and I am not going to be the exception. Papers I have coauthored have received the 2014 O. Hugo Schuck best paper award and paper awards at ICASSP 2020, EUSIPCO 2019, CDC 2017, SSP Workshop 2016, SAM Workshop 2016, Asilomar SSC Conference 2015, ACC 2013, ICASSP 2006, and ICASSP 2005. I received a 2019 Outstanding Researcher Award from Intel, the 2017 Penn’s Lindback award for distinguished teaching and the 2012 S. Reid Warren, Jr. Award presented by Penn’s undergraduate student body for outstanding teaching. I am a Fulbright scholar class of 2003 and a PennFellow class of 2015.